Muslim leaders reject invitation to Joe Biden’s Iftar feast over war in Gaza – Dainik Savera Times

Muslim leaders reject invitation to Joe Biden’s Iftar feast over war in Gaza – Dainik Savera Times


Washington: Due to the ongoing war in Gaza, Muslim community leaders in America have rejected the invitation for Roza Iftar (breaking of fast) organized by President Joe Biden. After this, the White House has decided to organize a small Iftar feast on Tuesday evening in which only people working in the administration will attend. Wael al-Zayat, who leads the Muslim advocacy group ‘Mgaz’, attended the Iftar organized at the White House last year, but this time he refused to break the fast with Biden, saying that when there are conditions of starvation in Gaza. So it is inappropriate to attend the feast in this manner.

The White House changed its plans on Monday after many declined the invitation and told community leaders it wanted to hold a meeting focused on the administration’s policies, he said. Al Zayat denied this also. Many American-Muslims are angry with Biden for supporting Israel over the siege of Gaza. The President’s Democratic Party is afraid that the declining support of Muslims for Biden could pave the way for the return of Republican Party candidate Donald Trump to the White House.

Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, government Muslim officials, national security officials and many Muslim leaders can attend the Iftar feast to be held on Tuesday. However, the White House has not disclosed their names. Some people who were invited to the events in previous years have not been invited this time, including Dearborn, Michigan Mayor Abdullah Hammoud.

Press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said community leaders had asked for the working group to meet. He described this meeting as an opportunity to get feedback from them. As for private iftars, Jean-Pierre said the president is going to continue his tradition of hosting the Muslim community during Ramadan.



Source link